Monday, January 19, 2015

Crochet With a K

I tried crocheting 8 or 9 years ago and for the life of me could NOT figure out the tension of the  yarn. Everyone I talked to kept telling me how fast they could complete their projects.....I was envious.  Then I had two friends diagnosed with breast cancer within a month of each other.  Aside from cooking, visiting and keeping spirits high, I wanted to help.  I decided a skull cap would be helpful for the time when their hair would be nonexistent or short and the winter days long and cold up here in the north.  This time around I managed the tension better and and finished one cap after another. Once I accomplished that I searched for an easy pattern for slippers.  Slippers are my go to for knitting and I thought crocheting should follow suit.  Slippers are quick and easy so I get the immediate gratification i seem to need on projects and you can customize them to match just about anyone's personality incorporating all kinds of fibers. I found this pattern on Pinterest ( Loopykidz).  I fell in love with it for two reason.....Easy to follow and I could change it up with any yarn, bobbles, bells and whistles to satisfy my creative need (And hopefully the recipients). OH.....one more thing....SIZE K......To me that means FAST! I have used the pattern as is, double stranded for worsted weight, adjusted stitches for smaller or larger sizes and they all turned out great!

Materials
Bulky (#5) Yarn - H-K depending on desired guage/Yarn Needle

Abbreviations 
CH = chain, SLST = slip stitch, SC = single crochet. DC = double crochet, TR = triple crochet, ST = stitch

Instructions

DC 10 times into Magic Ring, Join with SLST to 1st DC {10}
CH2, place 2DC in each ST around, join with SLST to 1st DC {20}
CH2, DC in each ST around, join with SLST to 1st DC {20}
Repeat round 3
Repeat round 3
Repeat round 3
CH2, DC in next 15 STs, leave remaining 5 un-worked. Turn {15}
CH2, DC across, turn {15}
Repeat round 8
Repeat round 8
Repeat round 8
Repeat round 8
Repeat round 8
Repeat round 8
Repeat round 8
*You can continue to repeat round 8 until you've reached the desired length**

Fold the heel of your slipper so right sides are facing together, SLST the slipper heel closed
Fasten off and weave in ends

CH1, SC evenly around, join with SLST to 1st SC
Fasten off, weave in ends. I also like to do two rows of DC here to create more of a boot effect.

These were made for my cousin Carly who is a freshman at UWM. These were made with the single chain finish. GO BADGERS!!








This pair was made for my cousin Rebecca, who is in high school and very girly. I added the flowers and rhinestone buttons to jazz them up a little bit.They have a sincle row of DC around the edge.



This pair was made for my favorite 8 year old friend. Every year Ava gets a new pair of slippers because she keeps growing and growing and has bad eczema and needs to keep her feet covered.  Here I added some flowers and beads and I added two rows of DC to create more of a bootie.

The pair highlighted at the top of this post were made for a dear old friend I worked with in college. I haven't seen her in more than 20 years but reconnected through Facebook.  It was a family run restaurant, and we hostessed the crazy Friday night fish-frys together. She was one of her many family members who worked there and part of an amazing family!

No comments:

Post a Comment